Jolt that memory......1986!!

Posted at 21:23

I got a sweet jolt back to 1986 with the help of Chris's 1986 Face magazine collection that he kindly lent to me, due to my game being set in the year 1986 I wanted to make sure that the fashion in my character designs would be pretty authentic to the time. It was a time of big hair and power dressing and it is clear to see that todays fashion designers are looking back to the 80's for inspiration, it's probably down to this reason that the fashions were not as shocking as I remembered.



It was the time of big hair and big statements, this image is a superb example of what was around at the time, cat suits were popular (well I knew a few girls who would wear them to clubs!) not to mention over the top guitar solos like the one from the hugely popular film Top Gun which was released that year, just watch the below clip to see what I mean!





Leaving aside that rather large hair we tone it down a bit with this advert for Harrods, yes she still has large curly hair (perms were the ladies choice of hairstyle) but it is more in keeping with street fashion of the time. I particularly like the clothes she is wearing and the country influence in the design. Also notice the pose which sends out a clear sexy powerful message, a very striking image.



This is a cover from the February edition of The Face magazine and I thought I would put it here to draw your attention to the eye makeup, as the lead in my game is female who is into fashion it is only right that I have a look at what potential styles she could wear. I do like this Punk like style and it adds a certain sense of strngth and power to the wearer, I have no intention of making the lead a Punk but I t would be interesting to pull aspects into the design.



Ah Mia Sara, this is from Ferris Bueller's Day Off which was another big hit at the box office that year but there is a reason for it being here. the clothes Mia is wearing are more typical of the day once you take away the high fashion that graced the cat walks, notice the white jacket sporting its tassels, the plain T-shirt and the boots which are both now back in fashion.